Don’t know your Northings from your Northern Line? Think a handrail is something next to a set of stairs? Then the Bronze Award is the one for you!
The Bronze level is designed for people looking to get out and explore the countryside using existing paths and tracks. It will give you a firm understanding of the essential skills involved in navigating; understanding the map, simple compass techniques, and planning a straightforward navigation route.
The course covers;
- Maps, Map Symbols & Grid References
- Setting the Map – Using the ground, features & compass
- Measuring distance – on the Map, by sight, and double spacing
- Basic concept of the use of timing to aid navigation
- The identification and use of handrails
- Basic contour interpretation
- Planning a walk – equipment, the access code, and emergencies
The full syllabus can be found on the NNAS website.
If you’ve got a good understanding of the outcomes for Bronze then why not try the Silver Award?
To ensure you get the most out of your activity, we ask that participants meet some minimum abilities.
- It is aimed at people with no navigation experience, whether you are new to the outdoors or have been relying on others, guidebooks or easy well-defined routes.
If you have any questions, please get in touch. We are usually able to accommodate a diverse range of special requirements.
For assessment courses that require logbooks or NGB registration, please ensure these are completed before the course commences.
For introductory activities, we provide all the activity and safety equipment you need. With more advanced courses you may be expected to have some of your own personal equipment; see the Kit List for information. Whether it’s the latest gear, great instruction or comfy accommodation, we aim to provide you with the best we can.
- Maps Of The Location
As well as the activity equipment, you can rest assured that our experienced instructors carry all the necessary group safety equipment, and are covered by a comprehensive insurance policy.
Here is a quick guide to what you need to bring with you for the activity. A full kit list is included with your information pack provided after booking.
- Walking Boots
- Warm Layers
- Snacks/Meals & Drinks (These May Not Be Available At The Location)
If you are struggling with any specialist equipment, then please get in touch, and we may be able to assist.